Rich pin pinterest

Rent a Holiday Home: Guide for Owners

Rent a Holiday Home: Guide for Owners - Those who own a second home can choose to opt for short tourist rentals, turning the property into a valid source of income. Of course, it is not possible to improvise renting-rooms: in order to rent a holiday home, it is necessary to comply with tax obligations, and comply with the legal rules related to tourist rentals. In this article you will find all the information useful to start renting your second home, or to make available for rents a room of your home.

Rent a Holiday Home Guide for Owners

Rent a Holiday Home: Short Guide for Homeowners

Before you start worrying about the bureaucratic and financial side, it is important to make sure that the property is suitable to host tourists. This means that the holiday home will have to be fully compliant with all building safety and hygiene standards. Once you have ascertained the compliance of your property and have obtained all the documents that attest to it, you will also need to apply for the energy performance certificate of the property. Once you have this basic documentation, you can start to set in motion the practices to rent your home to tourists.

First, you'll have to take care of fulfilling your legal obligations. In fact, Italian law requires all accommodation managers, of any kind, to report guest data to the State Police within 24 hours of arrival. This data should be sent to the police via a dedicated website, the "Housing Service", which you can find at this link. Guest details must be communicated to the deputies both in case you are renting the whole house, and in case you are making available to tourists only one room of your home. The process of signing up for the Accommodation Portal takes some time, and varies from Province to Province; generally, you'll need to install a certificate on your PC first, and then register with the service. We recommend that you sign up for the Accommodation Portal a little in advance, so you can safely send all your data within the 24-hour deadline, without incurring any problems with registration or computer errors.

In addition, the guest will have to sign a lease, the model of which is available both in the municipalities and on the websites dedicated to the world of rentals. Only for rentals longer than 30 days, the contract must be registered with the Revenue Agency.

With the registration of guests to the Accommodation Portal and the conclusion of a regular contract that attests to the short rent, you will not have to fulfill any additional obligations: to rent to tourists a house of your own you will not need VAT number, nor special authorizations.

The Tax Aspect of Short Tourist Rentals

The tax regime varies depending on how you decided to rent your property. In fact, from the beginning of 2020, the so-called "AirBnB Tax" was introduced, which obliges rent brokers (such as AirBnB, Booking and Homeaway) to act as a tax substitute for homeowners. This means that if you decide to rent your holiday home through one of these platforms, it will take care of everything: it will automatically withete the taxes due, and pay it to the Revenue Agency. The withholding is equal to the normal dry coupon on both short and long-term rents, and amounts to 21% of the rent. Please note that the dry coupon replaces the Irpef, stamp duty, additional taxes and registration fees: once the intermediary platform has paid 21% of the fee, you will no longer have to pay anything. Of course, you will be required to include your earnings from renting your home in your tax return.

If you prefer to rent the holiday home in total autonomy, you will have to pay the dry coupon yourself. Alternatively, you can opt for another tax regime, the ordinary taxation scheme; in this case, of course, you will not have to pay 21% of the rent, but calculate the amount of taxes to be paid according to the scheme for land income, as is precisely considered the rent in the current legislative framework.

Whether you decide to opt for the dry coupon, or for the ordinary tax regime, you will have to pay the rent tax every month, before the 16th day of the month after the rent is levied. Payment is made via F24; you will always have to pay 21% of the gross fee collected. If you have chosen the dry cedar, you will not have to make any further payments; If you have opted for the ordinary scheme, the payments made will be considered, at the end of the year, as down payments on taxes due.

Relying on an Intermediary or Total Autonomy?

The answer is... Depends on! If you plan to rent your home for very short periods of time very sporadically, rents on your own may be the ideal solution for you. When you no longer want to host tourists, you can simply remove your ad from social media.

If, on the other hand, you want to rent your home to tourists as much as possible, relying on a platform such as AirBnB, Booking and the like can be a good idea. Thanks to automatic withholding you will not have to worry about the tax aspect of rents: the intermediary company will take care of paying the dry coupon for you. You will have more visibility, and customers will be able to reserve the room or house in a facilitated way. You too can count on a more sophisticated and automated booking management system. The downside of this system is that you won't be able to eliminate your ad very easily: these are systems designed mostly for continuously operating tourist facilities.

On Real Estate Discount you can find many tips to decorate your second home to perfection, and make it an excellent accommodation for tourists. If you are thinking of investing in a second home to rent, we recommend that you also take a look at our search engine of houses for sale at the judicial auction: we are sure that you will find the property that will make you fall in love!

No comments for "Rent a Holiday Home: Guide for Owners"

Subscribe from Email